Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Hong Kong - Hung Kee Seafood Restaurant

Photobucket

Photobucket

I have fond memories of these walls of seafood. I was born in Hong Kong and lived there until I was 9, although I'm a fail Asian, as I can't speak Chinese. Something I regret neglecting now that I want to eat everything and it would be so much easier to navigate so much of Asia with it....

I remember my family eating out fairly frequently and the best way to entertain the children while out (for at least the first 10 minutes anyway), go take them to go poke and prod at the glass of the fresh seafood aquariums.

Lobsters, pippies, crabs, everything you can think of!

Photobucket

Even these big guys!

When we got off our bus and walked by the multitude of restaurants set up like this, I couldn't help but feel my excitement growing, it was all clean and very fresh looking. The produce were still wiggling their antennas and healthily flapping their gills.

Photobucket

As we were a big group, we were guided upstairs to an intimate dining room....for 30. Have to love Chinese style decor, bright lights, blue walls and yellow tablecloth. Did we accidentally stumble into a circus? Not particularly 'hunky' (Hung Kee - hunky? Get it? Huurrr. Yup I'm lame.)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Preserved plums and shots? What on earth were we having? In the shot glasses a darkish liquid was poured in from a metallic teapot. The boys on my table decided to just shoot them straight and commented on their vingear like taste. We later found out, you were meant to put the preserved plums in them and sip on it! The plums gave the liquid a really sweet taste and reminded me a lot of port.

Alternatively, the shots were supposed to be a sauce you could dip these in....(they boys were kicking themselves afterwards for shooting down 'sauce')

Photobucket

Prawns! A masssive big ol' plate of them! Seriously, this plate was like 5 times the size of my face and generously stacked with prawns. They were simply steamed so although small, incredibly sweet and juicy. The freshness really came through.

Photobucket

Sorry guys, again, everything was ordered for us, so I don't really have names of everything! Obviously chicken above, it was tender and yummy, but it certainly wasn't my favourite of the night and I only nibbled on one piece as I was waiting in anticipation for more seafood!

Photobucket

Oh my dear sweet lobster! Situated on a bed of noodles (which remained relatively untouched) and lathered in a delicious egg sauce. I honesty don't remember the last time I had lobster and this was definitely a treat, sweet and succulent, I very efficiently navigated through the shell to find all the meaty pieces. This lobster had a lot of it. Mmmmmm.

Photobucket

Forgot to ask what type of fish this was! Some people asked to have the bone removed and the guy very promptly demolished our fish! It was no delicate operation for sure. So whilst it arrived on the table looking rather pretty, when it was ready to eat it was a pile of mashed fish flesh. Mmm, not quite so sexy. Although still tasty, smooth and who doesn't love piling the sauce from the fish onto their rice?!

Photobucket

Photobucket

A round of "ooh's" went up as the scallops were lowered on to the table. I would almost describe them as lady like in their open shells, adorned with glass rice noodles and a touch of garlic.

They were however, excessively difficult to remove from their shell, many of my table-mates making their scallops look more like afros than pretty round discs after sliding their chopsticks through them multiple times. The trick was to grab a spoon or fork and really put some elbow grease into getting them off.

But oh! What a treat they were, once removed, as they weren't fully cooked through (hence still being rather attached to their shells), they were really, really, really silky and soft and oh so sweet (I really don't mean to overuse this adjective).

Photobucket

Pippes (or Laa laas? I forget what they were exactly....)! Quite a bold statement next to their cousins the scallops. Whilst also sweet and succulent, the bite of chilli made you clench your jaw briefly as you braced it but then left a lovely warm feeling in your mouth afterwards. Next to the scallops, they were much meatier tasting than the scallops.

There were one or two other dishes I forgot to get pictures of, but it was just amazing how much food they brought out for us! It was really so painful to see so much food leftover, but there was just no way I could fit anymore in (especially after all that lobster...).

Even though I am spoilt for seafood in Australia, just some of the stuff you can get in Hong Kong is incredible and it's cooked so simply and so honestly, really bringing out the natural flavours. I'm so terribly disappointed that I didn't have more time to try out more!

Hung Kee Seafood Restaurant
G/F Siu Yat Building
Hoi Pong Square
Sai Kung
Hong Kong

8 comments:

  1. OMG i've never seen so many tanks of seafood before. that's incredible :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMGoSH. you went to the same place as me. Some of your photos look like mine too HAHA. BUT NO FAIR, you had a huge group to share with... could try so much more. Envious!!!
    Did you go with a tour or something?
    P.S. never too late to learn, especially if you want to travel independently and to relatively remote areas =P. I was never more thankful of parents forcing me to go to chinese school for 10+ yrs, than when i was travelling in HK / china =).

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were born in HK? My chinese is an epic fail too but I am able to converse in Cantonese. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I promptly got hungry looking at the pictures of the dishes. Steamed fish, scallops with glass noodles, lobsters… aaaa!! The cuisine in HK must besoo wonderful.

    The tanks of seafood are amazing indeed, esp that giant fish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Simon - Isn't it wonderful?! I love browsing the fresh seafood before I eat it. :)

    Allan - Haha, what a small world! :) And yes, it's wonderful being with a big group! I wasn't really on a tour, it was an educational event with some dinner and social stuff mixed in as well! :) Chinese is so daunting to learn though!

    Michelle - Yah, I was born in HK, but brought up learning English all my life, was put in expat schools etc. so I didn't really have much exposure to Chinese. :)

    Bryan - It is SO delicious in Hong Kong! I could've stood outside gawking at all the produce, they even had horseshoe crabs on the footpath just crawling around, the children walking by were just baffled by them! (Including the 20 year old's in my group!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH MY GOODNESS THAT IS A LOT OF SEAFOOD!

    Any idea what those gigantic fishies are?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. I'm craving all this delicious seafood now!! It all looks so fresh and tasty. Especially the lobster and fish mmmm. I know, it would be so much easier being brought up learning a language. Ben wishes his dad taught him Cantonese. Oh well, never too late to learn!
    Heidi xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think we all went to the same places. Hong Kong is quite small I guess. All that fresh seafood is making me reminisce about my experience in Hong Kong. Wish I could go back there.

    ReplyDelete