Thursday, October 14, 2010

Carlton Espresso

I will admit to having a lot of preconceptions about Lygon Street. Preconceptions that aren't so much on the positive side of things. For example, you know the term 'guido'? Maybe from Jersey Shore (god I love trashy tv)? Well yeah, my impression of Lygon Street, when I think of it fleetingly, is like thinking of a 'guido', a bit of a narcissist, a bit obnoxious and no real substance. Sorry, but I am just going by stereotype.

Although, to be fair, I don't know Lygon Street that well, and I know there are some fantastic restaurants in Carlton, Embrasse, Balzari, etc. And I'm quite open to have my opinion be swayed.

Which on a beautiful, beautiful Sunday, it did.

Brad and I figured we always end up in Smith Street or Fitzroy when looking for lunch options, so on a gorgeous 25 degree afternoon, we found ourselves walking around Lygon Street, sussing out our options.

Photobucket

After a bit of strolling, we set ourselves on an outside table at Carlton Espresso.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

It's casual, but super chic, looking inside the restaurant it kinda made me think of a cave been totally polished and waxed out. Gray, smooth walls with some nice curved arches and a few long communal tables.

At Carlton Espresso they have you order at the bar, which makes sense, I was wondering how they would keep track of people who might just run off outside (hurrr). Service went without hiccup, our drinks and food came out efficiently, although I wouldn't have minded my water being topped up.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I started with a house white and Brad got a beer. Both were beautifully crisp and refreshing on a 25 degree afternoon.

Photobucket

I had just been craving for a caprese salad, maybe it was the hot weather, maybe it was being in the little Italy street of Melbourne and maybe it was the tomato. Regardless, I just about knew I was having it as soon as I saw it. I thought initially when presented to me, the mozarella could've been sliced a little finer, but as I munched my way through my lunch, I loved the thickness of it and how lovingly creamy and nutty it was, made refreshing with the acidity and juices of the cool tomato. My only complaint was the sparse display of basil, 3 leaves?! I would've much rather not had the peppery rocket and a leaf or two more of basil. All the same, it went down a treat, seriously guys, this is the most perfect thing to eat on a summery day.

Photobucket

Boys being boys, Brad needed something a little more substantial, so went with the spaghetti carbonara with guanciale, free range eggs and pecorino romano. Presentation to be honest? Not really the sexiest thing I've seen. However, it was very tasty, the texture of the egg was quite interesting and made it quite rich, the pasta was well cooked and Brad quite promptly demolished it. I could easily see this being a great comfort dish in the colder weather, although maybe not so great for the hips....

I have to say, although I didn't go for it since I was dead set on my caprese salad, I was incredibly surprised to see gluten free and even spelt pasta on the menu, so am quite keen to come back and give it a try (especially since I spied it on another table and it looked delicious!). I've seen this place fill up before in the evening, but for a late lunch, it wasn't too packed out and really a lovely laid back atmosphere.

I quietly loved eavesdropping on the table of short black Italian drinkers who were bemoaning over how Lygon Street has changed. Sorry guys, but with places like Carlton Espresso, quietly modest with good, fresh food in reasonable portions, I think I like how Lygon Street is getting shaped.

Carlton Espresso
326 Lygon St
Carlton, 3053

Carlton Espresso on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. I haven't been to Lygon in AGES!!! ooks like its being shaped in a good direction =).

    ReplyDelete